IPCRG Desktop Helper No.3 - References
27 Apr 2022
Type of resourceOther
IPCRG Desktop Helper No. 3 - Improving the life of people with COPD by integrating a supportive and palliative approach from diagnosis to end of life
- Chyr LC, DeGroot L, Waldfogel JM, et al. Implementation and effectiveness of integrating palliative care into ambulatory care of noncancer serious chronic illness: Mixed methods review and meta-analysis. Ann Fam Med 2022;20:77–83.
- Holland AE, Harrison SL, Brooks D. Multimorbidity, frailty and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: Are the challenges for pulmonary rehabilitation in the name? Chron Respir Dis 2016;13:372–82.
- Barnett K, Mercer SW, Norbury M, et al. Epidemiology of multimorbidity and implications for health care, research, and medical education: a cross-sectional study. Lancet 2012;380:37–43.
- Dekhuijzen PNR, Hass N, Liu J, Dreher M. Daily impact of COPD in younger and older adults: Global online survey results from over 1,300 patients. J Chron Obstruc Pulm Dis 2020;17:419–28.
- Miller WR, Rollnick S. Motivational Interviewing: Helping People Change, 3rd Edition. New York: The Guiford Press, 2013.
- IPCRG. Desktop Helper No. 4 - Helping patients quit tobacco - 3rd edition. Available at: https://www.ipcrg.org/desktophelpers/desktop-helper-no-4-helping-patients-quit-tobacco-3rd-edition. Accessed March 2022.
- NCSCT. Very Brief Advice training module. Available at: https://www.ncsct.co.uk/publication_very-brief-advice.php. Accessed March 2022.
- GOLD. Global strategy for prevention, diagnosis and management of COPD: 2022 Report. Available at: https://goldcopd.org/2022-gold-reports-2/. Accessed January 2022.
- Spruit MA, Singh SJ, Garvey C, et al; ATS/ERS Task Force on Pulmonary Rehabilitation. An official American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society statement: key concepts and advances in pulmonary rehabilitation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2013;188:e13–64.
- Spathis A, Booth S, Moffat C, et al. The Breathing, Thinking, Functioning clinical model: a proposal to facilitate evidence-based breathlessness management in chronic respiratory disease. npj Prim Care Respir Med 2017;27:27.
- Marciniuk DD, Goodridge D, Hernandez P, et al. Managing dyspnea in patients with advanced chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a Canadian Thoracic Society clinical practice guideline. Can Respir J 2011;18:69–78.
- Massart A, Hunt DP. Management of refractory breathlessness: a Review for general internists. J Gen Intern Med 2021;36:1035–40.
- O'Donnell DE, Milne KM, James MD, et al. Dyspnea in COPD: New mechanistic insights and management implications. Adv Ther 2020;37:41–60.
- Verberkt C, van den Beuken-van Everdingen MHJ, Schols JMGA, et al. Effect of sustained-release morphine for refractory breathlessness in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease on health status: A randomized clinical trial. JAMA Intern Med 2020;180:1306–14.
- Wiseman R, Rowett D, Allcroft P, et al. Chronic refractory dyspnoea evidence-based management. Australian Fam Phys 2013;42:137–40.
- Ekstrom M, Nilsson F, Abernethy AA, Currow DC. Effects of opioids on breathlessness and exercise capacity in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. A systematic review. Ann Am Thorac Soc 2015;12:1079–92.
- Barnes H, McDonald J, Smallwood N, Manser R. Opioids for the palliation of refractory breathlessness in adults with advanced disease and terminal illness. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016;3:CD011008.
- Currow DC, Johnson MJ, Pollack A, et al. Breathlessness and opioid prescribing in COPD in general practice: a cross-sectional, observational study. ERJ Open Res 2020;6:00299-2019.
- Simon ST, Higginson IJ, Booth S, et al. Benzodiazepines for the relief of breathlessness in advanced malignant and non-malignant diseases in adults. Cochrane Database Syst. Rev 2016;10: CD007354.
- Luckett T, Phillips J, Johnson MJ, et al. Contributions of a hand-held fan to self-management of chronic breathlessness. Eur Respir J 2017;50:1700262.
- Patel K, Janssen DJA, Curtis JR. Advanced care planning in COPD. Respirology 2012;17:72–8.
- Lynn J, Adamson DM. Living well at the end of life. Adapting health care to serious chronic illness in old age. Washington, Rand Health, 2003. Available at: https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/citations/ADA416211. Accessed March 2022.