IPCRG Desktop Helper 16 - References and further reading
14 Nov 2023
- Severe mental health and physical health inequalities: briefing. Available via: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/severe-mental-illness-smi-physical-health-inequalities/severe-mental-illness-and-physical-health-inequalities-briefing. Accessed November 2023.
- Jaen-Moreno MJ et al. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in severe mental illness: A timely diagnosis to advance the process of quitting smoking. Eur Psychiatry. 2021 Feb 26;64(1):e22.
- Taylor GM et al. Smoking cessation for improving mental health. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2021 Mar 9;3(3):CD013522. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD013522.pub2. PMID: 33687070; PMCID: PMC8121093.
- Gilbody S, et al. Smoking cessation for people with severe mental illness (SCIMITAR+): a pragmatic randomised controlled trial. Lancet Psychiatry. 2019 May;6(5):379-390. doi: 10.1016/S2215-0366(19)30047-1. Epub 2019 Apr 8. PMID: 30975539; PMCID: PMC6546931.
- Jahagirdar D, Kaunelis D. Smoking Cessation Interventions for Patients with Severe Mental Illnesses: A Review of Clinical Effectiveness and Guidelines [Internet]. Ottawa (ON): Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health; 2017 Aug 24.
- GOLD Report 2023. Available via: https://goldcopd.org/2023-gold-report-2
- Jaén-Moreno MJ, Rico-Villademoros F, Ruiz-Rull C, Laguna-Muñoz D, Del Pozo GI, Sarramea F. A Systematic Review on the Association between Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. COPD. 2023 Dec;20(1):31-43
- Razzano LA, Cook JA, Yost C, et al. Factors associated with cooccurring medical conditions among adults with serious mental disorders. Schizophr Res 2015;161:458–64.
- Liu NH, Daumit GL, Dua T, et al. Excess mortality in persons with severe mental disorders: a multilevel intervention framework and priorities for clinical practice, policy and research agendas. World Psychiatry 2017;16:30–40.
- Launders N, Dotsikas K, Marston L, Price G, Osborn DPJ, Hayes JF. The impact of comorbid severe mental illness and common chronic physical health conditions on hospitalisation: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One. 2022 Aug 18;17(8):e0272498.
- Mitchell C, Zuraw N, Delaney B, Twohig H, Dolan N, Walton E, Hulin J, Yousefpour C. Primary care for people with severe mental illness and comorbid obstructive airways disease: a qualitative study of patient perspectives with integrated stakeholder feedback. BMJ Open. 2022 Mar 1;12(3):e057143.
- Evins AE, Cather C, Laffer A. Treatment of tobacco use disorders in smokers with serious mental illness: toward clinical best practices. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2015;23(2):90–8.
- Jaén-Moreno, M., Feu, N., Redondo-Écija, J. et al. Smoking cessation opportunities in severe mental illness (tobacco intensive motivational and estimate risk — TIMER—): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 20, 47 (2019).
- Banks E, et al. BMC Medicine 2015;13(38): doi.10.1186/s12916-015-0281-z
- Lawrence D, Mitrou F, Zubrick SR. Smoking and mental illness: results from population surveys in Australia and the United States. BMC Public Health. 2009 Aug 7;9:285. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-9-285
- Ranita Siru, Gary K. Hulse, and Robert J. Tait, “Assessing Motivation to Quit Smoking in People with Mental Illness; A Review,” Addiction 104:5 (2009): 719-733
- Difeng Wu A, et al. Smoking cessation and changes in anxiety and depression in patients with and without psychiatric disorders. JAMA Network Open 2023;6(5):e2316111. Doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2023.16111.
- Firth J, Wootton RE, Sawyer C, Taylor GM. Clearing the air: clarifying the causal role of smoking in mental illness. World Psychiatry. 2023 Feb;22(1):151-152. doi: 10.1002/wps.21023.
- Dragonieri S, et al. Assessment of Five Questionnaires for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in a Southern Italian Population: A Proof-of-Concept Study. Medicina (Kaunas). 2023 Jul 5;59(7):1252.
- Livingstone-Banks J, et al. Nicotine receptor partial agonists for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews 2023;May 5. Doi:10.1002/14651858.
- Walker PP, et al. The Association Between Heroin Inhalation and Early Onset Emphysema. Chest 2015; 148(5): 1156-1163.
- Afzal M, et al. Prevalence of Overweight and Obesity in People With Severe Mental Illness: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 2021 Nov 25:12:769309.
- Marler JD, Fujii CA, Wong KS, Galanko JA, Balbierz DJ, Utley DS. Assessment of a Personal Interactive Carbon Monoxide Breath Sensor in People Who Smoke Cigarettes: Single-Arm Cohort Study. J Med Internet Res. 2020 Oct 2;22(10):e22811
- Dervaux A, Laqueille X. Tobacco and schizophrenia: therapeutic aspects. L'encephale. 2007 Sep 1;33(4 Pt 1):629-32. DOI: 10.1016/s0013-7006(07)92064-3
- RCP. Smoking and mental health. March 2013, available via: https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/118078/pdf/
- McKelvey K, Thrul J, Ramo D. Impact of quitting smoking and smoking cessation treatment on substance use outcomes: An updated and narrative review. Addictive behaviors. 2017 Feb 1;65:161- 70. DOI: 10.1016/j.addbeh.2016.10.012
- Lindson N, et al. Pharmacological and electronic cigarette interventions for smoking cessation in adults: component network meta-analyses. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2023 Sep 12;9 (9):CD015226.
- Campion J, Shiers D, Britton J, Gilbody S, Bradshaw T. Royal College of General Practitioners and Royal College of Psychiatrists; London: 2014. Primary care guidance on smoking and mental disorders — 2014 update
- Hartmann-Boyce J, Lindson N, Butler AR, et al. Electronic cigarettes for smoking cessation. Cochrane Rev 2022. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD010216.pub7
- Rigotti NA. Pharmacotherapy for smoking cessation in adults. In: Post TW, editor. UpToDate [Internet]. Waltham (MA): UpToDate; 2017 [cited 2017 Aug 10]. Available from: www.uptodate.com Subscription required. [Reference list]
- RACGP. The Royal Australian New Zealand College of Psychiatrists. Mental Health Clinician Guidance for Managing People’s Smoking Cessation; 2022
- Evins AE, Cather C, Daumit GL. Smoking cessation in people with serious mental illness. Lancet Psychiatry. 2019 Jul;6(7):563-564
- Küçükaksu, M.H., van Meijel, B., Jansen, L. et al. A smoking cessation intervention for people with severe mental illness treated in ambulatory mental health care (KISMET): study protocol of a randomised controlled trial. BMC Psychiatry 23, 108 (2023.
- Wagner E, McMahon L, Falkai P, Hasan A, Siskind D. Impact of smoking behavior on clozapine blood levels - a systematic review and meta-analysis. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2020 Dec;142(6):456-466. doi: 10.1111/acps.13228. Epub 2020 Sep 27.
- Tobacco Dependence
- Disease management
Type of resourceOther
- COPD Right Care
- Risk Factors
- Clinical Education